As far as the historical evidence goes, the first attempt to establish a college in Suri, the headquarters of Birbhum district, started in the year 1934. Under the tutelage of the then local landlord and educationist- Shri Amita Ranjan Mukhopadhyay, popular doctor Kaligati Banerjee, advocate Babu Harikinkar Samanta and other social activists, a working committee was formed, for this mission. The committee started collecting funds from local residents and it was decided that one of the members, Shri Tulsidas Chakraborty would buy them a large mansion by the name of ‘Bose Saheber Kuthi’, which would then form their base and also double up as the perfunctionary college building until a new one comes up. Funds were raised in the tune of twenty thousand rupees. But, with time the efforts waned and the funds dwindled. Fresh vigour was again observed in 1940. Under the leadership of Birbhum Zilla Board Chairman Shri Harikinkar Samanta, local dignitaries, including MLA Shri Debendranath Das, Shri Rampati Basu, Maulavi Nurul Absar, Md. Nake Moktar, Abdul Majid Choudhury along with the committee members submitted a deputation to the then Bengal ‘Prime Minister’ and Education Minister-in-Charge, Fajlul Haque, and petitioned for his assistance to bring up the college.
By then, the World War II had started and in India, Calcutta became the prime target of the Japanese. December of 1941 saw fierce bombing on Calcutta by the Japanese forces. This caused widespread panic and people started fleeing Calcutta for the neighbouring townships and villages. It was these circumstances that set the stage for the inception of Suri Vidyasagar College.
Powerd By Qdel